Page 2 of 6
Oak Hill was originally built in 1820 and re constructed in 1858 following a terrible fire in which arson was suspected. This grand structure was originally home to William Hamilton Merritt, builder of the first Welland Canal and War of 1812 hero. Hence the nickname Merritt House in recent times. Over the years the house has been an inn, a convalescent hospital, a rooming house and finally, a radio station.
And yes....it is notoriously 'haunted'......
Jan. 21st 2001
Para-Researchers Of Ontario members Lisa, Sue and Krys were invited to participate in a joint investigation of Oak Hill with the Toronto Ghosts And Hauntings Research Society and a ghost-related segment on a CKTB radio show. Arriving at the house/radio station at approx. 8pm we took a brief tour of the four level building and set-up our recording devices in different locations. We then split up into teams of two to cover the various areas of this large and historical structure both before and after our portion of the radio broadcast.
Strange occurrences include:
- One of our members experienced extreme vertigo on the main staircase. She was fine on all other sets of stairs including those leading to the attic, which were far more smaller and steeper. Unbeknownst to our member at the time a person with some psychic abilities who was a guest on the previous evening's radio show had in fact stated that there were "entities" located on the main staircase and were purposefully blocking people's movements.
- The same member whilst unknowingly alone on the top two floors of the building clearly heard a female voice in close proximity whisper the word "yesssss." She answered believing that it was her colleague whom had returned to the main lobby area to retrieve a forgotten flash light. When no return reply was forthcoming she did a check of her surroundings only to come to the startling realization that she was quite alone. Proceeding towards the top of the main staircase in order to rejoin the group and to report her strange experience, she again experienced extreme vertigo and remained upstairs quite shaken until the others joined her.
- Another member experienced large black shapes and movements out of the corner of her eye in the boardroom/original master bedroom.
- Some members of the TGHRS witnessed a colourful 'light' display while also in the boardroom. When one of our members attempted to move closer to the 'light' show she experienced a bone chilling cold draft - "similar to standing directly in front of an air conditioning unit in the middle of winter." Please note that this particular room was always slightly cooler in temperature, but a check of the windows proved that each was tightly and very recently sealed allowing for no drafts. This "cold spot" was also perceived to move to various locations in the room before completely dissipating.
- Videotape shows balls of 'light' darting around both the attic and boardroom areas (these could very well be dust particles caught in the range of our light source). As well as what appears to be a door swinging open where no door exists!